Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My current Puyo Puyo obsession

I wasn't dead again, I was just gathering games and my current obsession (for a couple of years actually) is Puyo Puyo. As you may or may not know, Puyo Puyo is a blob stacking puzzle game that is very big in Japan but is almost totally ignored in the rest of the world for who knows what reason.

It all started a few years ago when I was asked to make a Puyo Puyo clone as part of a job interview, and luckily I had a copy of Sonic Classics that a friend gave to me back when I got my first Genesis.

Sonic Classics comes with Sonic 1 and 2 and also with "Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine" which I had seldom played until that point but had to in order to understand the game. That's when I got really into it and that quickly became an obsession.

So a while back I managed to get Puyo Puyo Sun for the Saturn



Pretty good game and it came complete with all the things a weirdo obsessive collector wants, not that I am one, but they're still cool to have.



First off there is this poster thingy I have no clue what it says but if you do let me know. OK that wasn't very exciting but I was too lazy to unfold it.



Second up is this sheet with stickers but not just any stickers, GLOW IN THE DARK STICKERS!!



Last but not least comes the spine card, why do people make such a big deal about spine cards is a mystery to me and probably always will. It comes with some writing I'll probably never be able to understand and a piece of artwork that is also on the CD case. I have known people that rebuy games online because the first they got didn't have this piece of cardboard that serves no purpose once you remove the shrinkwrap.

Anyways, some time passed and I managed to get some more games, starting off with Kirby's Avalanche, the US localization for Super Puyo Puyo.



Nothing too exciting, pretty much the same game, except Puyos are now "Ghosts" and the cast was replaced with Kirby characters.

Some more time passed and I happened to know someone who was in Japan at the time (the same person who sold me Puyo Puyo Sun), so the logical thing to do was ask for more Puyo games.



This is Super Puyo Puyo, the one Kirby's Avalanche and Dr. Robotnik's are based on. This one has a certain charm to it with all the original characters, at least more than the american releases.



Finally, there's Puyo Puyo Tsuu, my favorite of the old series, this one came cart-only, it's the one I play the most.



Finally, the cart that started it all, this one went through a lot back when my friend owned it and it shows, but I treasure it.

I have yet to get the Puyo Puyo Fever games but those ones are a bit though to find at a reasonable price.

If anyone has any puyo game that they're willing to sell don't hesitate to contact me!


Powered by ScribeFire.

3 comments:

gnome said...

What a brilliant Puyo post... Gotta hunt 'em now myself... Great to see you're still around.

Unknown said...

and then you got me all crazy about puyo too!

...and i kick your butt in multiplayer mode!!

salu2

Animated AF said...

I have quite an obsession for this series too. So far I have Mean Bean Machine, Puyo 2 (the Saturn version), Puyo Sun, Puyo 4 and Fever (Dreamcast) and finally the GBA one.